Saturday, October 26, 2013

A Brand Plucked out of the Fire


A Brand plucked out of the Fire-Zech 3:1-5

With Satan, my accuser, near,
My spirit trembled when I saw
The Lord in majesty appear,
And heard the language of His law.

In vain I wished and strove to hide
The tattered filthy rags I wore:
While my fierce foe, insulting, cried,
"See what you trusted in before!"

Struck dumb, and left without a plea,
I heard my gracious Savior say,
"Know, Satan, I this sinner free,
I died to take his sins away.

"This is a brand which I, in love,
To save from wrath and sin design;
In vain thy accusations prove;
I answer all, and claim him Mine."

At His rebuke the tempter fled;
Then He removed my filthy dress;
"Poor sinner, take this robe," He said,
"It is thy Savior's righteousness.

"And see a crown of life prepared!
That I might thus thy head adorn;
I thought no shame or suffering hard,
But wore for thee a crown of thorn."

O, how I heard these gracious words!
They broke and healed my heart at once;
Constrained me to become the Lord's,
And all my idol-gods renounce.

Now, Satan, thou hast lost thy aim,
Against this brand thy threats are vain;
Jesus has plucked it from the flame,
And who shall put it in again?
                             John Newon

No comments:

Post a Comment